What is GIGW
The full form of GIGW is Guidelines for Indian Government Websites. A set of security rules developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC) to ensure that all official government websites follow a standardized format and design to provide accessible and user-friendly content to citizens.
The GIGW guidelines cover various aspects of website development, such as security, accessibility, content management, design, and usability. Following these guidelines, Indian Government websites aim to enhance user experience and ensure transparency, accountability and public participation.
Features of GIGW
The GIGW Guidelines for Indian Government Websites include several features counting:
- Accessibility: Websites should be accessible to all, including people with disabilities. It indicates one should use simple language, provide alternative text for images, and ensure the website is compatible with screen readers and other assistive technologies.
- Security: Websites must be secure and have complete protection of user data. Using secure transaction protocols, storing data in encrypted form, and implementing measures are mandatory to prevent hacking and other cyber threats.
- Usability: Websites should be user-friendly and easy to navigate. It implies that the website should have a clear layout and provides clear and relevant information using easy-to-understand language.
- Content Management: Websites should have a system for managing and updating content. This implies that one should have clear policies and procedures for content creation, editing and publishing.
- Design: The design of the websites should be consistent and professional. Appropriate color schemes, fonts, and graphics should create an engaging user visual experience.
- Interactivity: Websites should provide interactive features to engage users. This means it should include tools for feedback, surveys, and other forms for user input.
- Mobile Compatibility: Websites should be compatible with mobile devices. This means using responsive design techniques to ensure the website is accessible on various devices, including mobiles, laptops, desktops, etc.
Benefits of GIGW
GIGW, or Guidelines for Indian Government Websites, is a set of guidelines established by the Government of India to ensure that all government websites adhere to specific standards and are accessible to all citizens. GIGW has many benefits, including:
- Better user experience: The GIGW guidelines ensure that government websites are user-friendly, easy to navigate and accessible to all citizens, including people with disabilities. This can improve user experience and increase satisfaction among website visitors.
- Enhanced Transparency: As per GIGW guidelines, government websites should be transparent and provide accurate information to citizens. It can build trust between the government and the people it serves and improve transparency and accountability in government.
- Enhanced Accessibility: The GIGW guidelines require government websites to be accessible to all citizens, including specially-abled people. It can help ensure that all citizens have access to government services and information equally.
- Better Search Engine Optimization: The GIGW guidelines also include recommendations on optimizing government websites for search engines. By following these guidelines, government websites can rank higher in search engine results, making it easier for citizens to find the information they need.
- Cost Savings: By following GIGW guidelines, government agencies can avoid costly website redesign and ensure their websites comply with the latest web standards. GIGW Compliance will save time and money in the long run.
Inclusively, the benefits of GIGW are significant and could lead to a more user-friendly, accessible and transparent government that meets the needs of all citizens.
How to comply with GIGW
GIGW, or Guidelines for Indian Government Websites, is a set of standards and guidelines that government websites in India must follow. If you want to comply with the GIGW, here are some steps you can follow for the best results:
- Follow Design and Usability Guidelines: The GIGW guidelines provide specific instructions for website design, including layout, navigation, font sizes, and more. Make sure your website follows these detailed guidelines.
- Ensure accessibility: The GIGW guidelines require that government websites be accessible to all, including people with disabilities. Your website must comply with accessibility standards such as WCAG 2.0 Level AA.
- Security measures to protect user data. Ensure your website uses HTTPS encryption and that any sensitive data is secure.
- Publish relevant information: Your website should provide users with up-to-date, accurate and relevant information. Ensure your website is regularly updated with new information and presented clearly and concisely.
- Provide Feedback and Support: Your website should have a mechanism for users to provide feedback and report issues. Ensure you have a support system to respond to user questions and complaints.
Following these guidelines ensures that your government website is GIGW compliant and provides a positive user experience. For more details and Certification for GIGW (STQC) Compliance, you can get in touch with us on +91-22-40129669 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org